Sunday, April 5, 2009

The worship service at MCC today was wonderful and gave me such clarity on my life. Pastor Jason (our amazing intern!) preached his best sermon today about Luke 19:28-44. Instead of simply focusing on the celebration and joy of the moment-- because hallelujah, the King has come!-- he also drew our attention to verse 41: 

As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace---"

Why would Jesus weep? Because Israel missed the point. Yes, Christ is King. But His is a heavenly kingdom, not an earthly one. The Jews wanted a king who could fix their surface problems (however serious) inflicted on them by the Romans. Jesus weeps because His purpose is greater-- to bring about the salvation of the world!-- yet they can't see it. 

"...Had only known what would bring you peace..."

These lines jumped out at me. I wondered if Jesus could say the same to me on many occasions where I have turned away from Him and toward sin. Does my Savior weep? Maybe yes. He could easily be saying to me "If you would only know, only acknowledge in your heart, what would bring you peace, you would refuse the sin that you find so gratifying. Turn to me, my dearest Betsy. Turn to me, confess and be forgiven-- that will bring you the peace you desire." 

And yet, I don't. I want a king who will fix my external problems. Lately I've been in "planning mode" and it's so easy to get caught up in the "haves" and "have-nots" and get angry at God for all of the "have-nots." Looking at that perspective makes my life seem so empty-- I don't have a career, I'm not living on my own, there are no relationship prospects. Yet the King's purpose is not to satiate my surface ideals and desires; His purpose is the salvation of my soul. 

Oof. 

Suddenly, I can truly sing a different song: "Lord, You are good! Lord, you are good! Lord, you are good to me!" :) 

There is peace and light in my heart. I acknowledge the salvation brought to me in love 2,000 years ago. What an amazing God we serve! One whose love and passion continues even today... it doesn't get more incredible than that. 


Betsy Joy

 




No comments: