Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Year in the Life

My 23rd birthday is fast approaching. I feel like I've earned more than one birthday this year; so much has happened in the last 12 months that don't often happen to someone all at once.

I fell in love,
got engaged to the man of my dreams,
Graduated from college,
Moved my life across the country with hardly a few hundred dollars in the bank,
Got hired for my first real job teaching with real benefits and insurance(!),
Had my fiance break up with me,
Got in my first car accident,
Found a new church,
Bought my first car,
Learned to pay my own bills,
Said goodbye to my first group of students and school,
Now unemployed for the first time,
AND visited Central America for the first time.


Yep. Quite a bit in fewer than 12 months.

So in many ways, I'm back on square one, but on the other hand I'm a world away from who I used to be. It's been quite the journey to put a life together, especially when so much of my heart and so many of my dreams had been dashed to pieces... But God's grace has been transformative and instrumental. I want to thank those who have stayed by my side through it all: especially my mom, my bible study girls, my friend and roommate Courtney, and the awesome teachers, staff and students at Horizon.

I bought a book today called "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" And although it sounds dumb, it's actually a fantastic book of beautiful questions. I hope to get back into writing and do some serious self-evaluation by blogging about the topics that the book raises. Join me in thinking about these things, if you'd like. I'm also excited to introduce some of these questions to my future students--whoever they are.

Thanks for being patient with me, blogging world. I hope I'm back.

Betsy Joy

1 comment:

Cohrs Compilations said...

glad to see you back. I'd love to see some discussion on the book where you see yourself in 5 years. should be interesting to think about!