Saturday, January 24, 2009

More thoughts on the Shack.

I've been doing a lot of thinking today about The Shack. I had a while to think about it on the drive home, anyway. I recalled the passage about living in the present, and felt that to be quite applicable to my life right now. I'd say it's one of my favorite passages.

One thing that came up in a conversation with my friend Kim (who hasn't read it, but has heard an earful about it) was the emphasis on relationship vs. law. The more I thought about it, and about the particular sins that have infiltrated my life and my connection (or rather, disconnection) to the Church because of them, I realized that yes, it IS about the relationship, and for many people, the Law is the same thing as the Institution. It's not, but for many (including me) that can be such a barrier.

When I sinned, confessed, and was consequently 'expelled' from the close knit community I had been a part of (and, sadly, it was because of the security of that community that I felt free to confess), I felt completely betrayed by the Church and its believers. And in a way, I had been-- but it was the institution that was run by a different paradigm of leadership than I believed that the Church was run by. (Whether or not I'm "right" about that is besides the point. I'm just telling you how I felt and perceived it, which is not so far off from what most people, believers or not, would feel.)

Basically, it comes down to the point that when I needed to be embraced by community and held accountable in solid relationship with others, I was made to leave them behind and try to "get better" on my own. I had been cleansed and redeemed-- but that didn't seem to matter: the Sin still held power in my life. I certainly needed healing, time and space, but there was no structure for that. After all, being in leadership is about being the best possible example, right? (Not really, actually. I've discovered that leadership is living life authentically and allowing others to see into the way that God works grace in your life. Being the first to the alter to lay it all before the Lord is true leadership. How can you ask others to confess if you, yourself, have not?) Ultimately, fixing things on my own didn't work, and I spiraled back into a place of sin and darkness, worse off than before the confession. While the Institution had good intentions (as it always does), it lacked the essential relationship. Bonhoeffer talks about exactly this in his last chapter of Life Together. Looking back on the last year and a half, I can see that the most growth has blossomed in the last five months. Why? Hm. I have been engaged with a healthy community. People. Relationships. Life & Love.

And that is what I think Young wants to point out about the law and relationship. Yes: God's laws for us are a model and guide for us to live. Yes, they point the to the ways that we can be in better relationship with Him. But it's still all about the relationship. When we hold others to the Law, rather than in relationship with the kind of "expectancy" Young also talks about, we fail them and ourselves. I think the struggle comes because engaging in real relationship is often counterintuitive. It embraces when instincts want to hold at arms length. This is how Jesus got into a lot of trouble, I think, with the Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law. The woman who knelt at Christ's feet and wiped them clean with her tears, hair and perfume? Not exactly someone you'd want to hold in relationship-- it would be far easier to leave it with the Law. And granted, her following the Law would probably help; but when it comes down to it, Christ knows her sin and loves her anyway. And that's what He did for me, and what He does for you. So let's not take it lightly. Young is right to emphasize it in his book.

That's a lot of processing.

I'm not even done with the book yet.

But I would like to add that I am so grateful for the wonderful relationships God has blessed me with, especially with a dear friend of mine. She and i have had a meeting of minds and of hearts, as they say. Both at a transitional point in our lives, we are able to talk openly and freely. It's truly holy conversation. For years we've wanted to meet regularly and pray for each other, but my spiritual maturity and open schedule have not often been on the same page. But now, at this pivotal point in our lives, we plan to meet weekly over coffee and talk about life. I am so excited for it!

This is the life I have been longing for. I have found such fullness in Christ, and the deeper I go, the better it gets, and the more I realize how much further I have to go! There is such joy in my heart these days. My Abba, my friend, my savior, my creative spirit-- all that God is to me-- has truly redeemed my life from the pit and placed me on the higher ground. Hallelujah!


betsy <3

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Betsy - I'm glad to hear you're getting so much out of the Shack :)

Also exciting to hear your life is coming together! So fun to see you at church today...