Friday, February 6, 2009

A friend of a friend of a friend..... wrote this:

...I especially won’t believe that God wants me to know the Bible, but not know literature, relationships, beauty, work, sacrifice, science, art and service. I will approach all those things as a Biblically thinking Christian, with a grid of God and the Gospel giving cohesion and hope to all I experience and encounter.

I want to suggest that “Bible study” that amounts to an obsessive concern with what the Bible says and no more is not the way we live the Christian life. If we know God and the Gospel, we should raise our sails in the winds of human experience, creativity and discovery, expecting God’s truth to be there as well.

I experience this frequently. I will teach a poem or story and realize I am in the Biblical world. I will sense in human brokenness the Biblical story. In a thousand ways I see the face and compassion of Jesus. In explorations and discoveries I see the marvel of God’s power and detail in creation.

None of these thing take the Bible away from me. I take the Bible with me into these parts of my life. I take the Bible, its “map” of reality and truth, its message of hope and most of all, its Gospel of redemption, resurrection and a new world begun in Christ.



I got this from my friend Steph's blog, who reflected on it and I liked the quote she had from someone else's blog, a guy by the name of Michael Spencer (aka Internetmonk). I went and read the context, and it was intriguing. I'd encourage you to check it out and consider what he says, especially his last question: "Is the Bible a stopping place or a starting place for Christian thinking?"

Anyway. Interesting stuff. Thought I would pass it on.

Betsy

No comments: